Law Department Interview Questions
• Who are your clients?
• How would you describe the culture of the Law Department?
• What percent of the work is Proactive/Preventative vs. Reactive? Please provide examples.
• What changes would you recommend to move toward doing more proactive work?
• How do you determine when to use outside counsel?
• How would you describe the relationship with outside counsel?
• What types of internal resources are available to you? To your team? (e.g.., Administrative staff,
dedicated Project, IT, HR staff)
• How do you use Paralegals/Administrative Staff in your work?
• How is your performance measured? How do you measure the performance of your reports?
• How would you rate your client’s satisfaction levels (using a scale of 1-5, with 1 as lowest and 5 as
highest)? Please explain.
• Are there departmental processes and/or use of technology with regard to:
• Matter Management
• Document Management
• Records Management
• Contracts Management
• Corporate Entity Management
• Time Management
• Financial Management
• What additional processes and/or technology could improve the productivity and effectiveness of
• What is the Law Department doing right? What should the Law Department do differently?
Business Client Interview Questions
• What is your role/scope at [Company]?