•;Does the practice have:
– lawyers that are accustomed to working in in-house/external teams?
– support staff that speak your language?
– the infrastructure you need for reporting and measurement?
How will the fee be calculated?
•;Is there an arbitration procedure?
•;How much does it cost?
•;Have we excluded it by excluding statutory charges?
•;Do our external lawyers have a lien over our papers?
•;Will professional courtesy rules make changing our lawyer during a dispute difficult?
Conflicts and confidentiality
•;Is the firm an expense sharing association or part of an alliance?
•;What conflict checking systems does the practice have?
•;Is there a compensation fund? Is it discretionary or limited?
•;Are all partners liable in the firm, or just your particular lawyer?
•;Handling of the client’s funds:
- Do rules exist in the jurisdiction?
- Is there a bar audit?
- Is the disciplinary system effective?