Roles and action steps
1. The legal team at Colt worked with Baker & McKenzie to develop and implement a model that
captures in-depth knowledge of their business drivers and uses these insights to drive efficiency,
consistency and better business outcomes.
2. Matters are raised and tracked via a customer portal, which, in turn, provides matter-level
reporting revealing how we use the service, which practice areas and jurisdictions our requests
for advice tend to focus on and the distribution of demand for advice between our internal
3. Services within a pre-defined scope (type of work rather than number of hours) are provided by
Baker & McKenzie under a fixed-fee arrangement. The fee is subject to annual review but not
retrospective adjustment thus providing certainty of cost for the entire budget period.
4. Legal work assigned to the firm that is not in the retainer scope is subject to a fixed fee quote,
thus giving certainty of cost for such matters.
5. Lawyers across the Colt legal team are free to instruct Baker & McKenzie on all “in-scope”
matters as they arise. The engagement covers sales, purchasing and day-to-day corporate and
regulatory matters in the UK, France, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Austria, Switzerland,
Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden and Belgium.
The engagement has enabled us to help fulfill Colt’s objective of managing costs and integrating its
external advisers into the Colt business, creating a virtual extended legal team who truly
understand their business.
The arrangement is based on a fixed fee for all commercial services needs across 13 jurisdictions,
which gives the business desired cost certainty and encourages the service to be used more
widely. The arrangement has been running since 1 January 2012 and is for a minimum of three years.
“Baker & McKenzie demonstrated that it is able to meet our needs for commercial industry-aware legal advice across all our regions of operation and has developed an excellent engagement model
to work with our world-class in- house team. I am delighted with the innovation it has demonstrated
and with the commitment and enthusiasm the firm brings to our relationship, and I believe it will bring
significant value to Colt’s business.”
- Robin Saphra, General Counsel, Colt International